Friday, March 15, 2013

A Letter to Charlotte

Dear Charlotte,

As I'm writing this, you are on a plane bound for The United States of America.  Leaving behind your birth country and everything you've ever known, for a new life with Winn & Scott..with your Mom & Dad.  I can't imagine what you may be feeling right now.  Are you scared? You have been so brave since the moment you met your parents, taking in the world with open eyes.  Are you nervous? You have already responded so positively to the changes- a man holding you, learning your new name, traveling, and wearing new clothes, hats and hair bows   Are you homesick? Although the orphanage isn't an ideal home, your caregivers and nannies took wonderful care of you and loved you dearly.

I want to tell you a story about what is waiting for you in America.

Sweet Lottie, your mom and dad wanted you so desperately.  You.  To say they were excited about adopting a baby is an understatement, but from the moment they laid eyes on you- saw your picture, looked into your eyes, examined your features-it was YOU.  There was an instant connection and without a doubt, YOU were meant to be their daughter.

Your parents were relentless in their quest to adopt you and give you the family you deserve.  They were so passionate-they made history and changed lives, and turned all of us into advocates along the way.  They knew that their daughter was alone in a crib on the other side of the world, and they didn't slow down until the moment you were placed in their arms.  Your mom and dad never faltered.  Not once.  For over two years they kept us engaged, and hundreds of people-friends, family, and strangers  have prayed for you, participated in fundraisers, and followed your journey.  They cheered when adoption milestones were reached-getting a government approval or a log in date- and cried when there were setbacks along the way.  ( Let's be real we cried at the milestones too!)

Your parents also made it a priority for us to learn about China.  We celebrated the Chinese New Year, learned Mandarin phrases, watched documentaries, and listened to Chinese lullabies.  Your heritage has been, and will continue to be, very important.

I am telling you this because I want you to know you have a place here.  A place in the world, in your family, and most importantly, in our hearts.  Your support system is huge, baby girl. You are loved.  So very, very loved.

On April 13, 2012, your parents asked me to be your Godmother.  I have never been more honored or proud, and didn't hesitate to say yes.  Know I take this role I've been blessed with very seriously.  You have a hold of my heart, my love.  I promise you that I will always be here for you-no matter what.

In a few short hours, I will see your face, touch your hands, and cry tears of happiness.  I will kiss your puffy cheeks and try to make you smile.  I will squeeze your Mama so hard she may burst, and watch your Baba's face as he looks at you, his beautiful daughter. But above all else, I will thank God for you.

Welcome home, baby girl.

Love always,

Auntie Kimi



2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful letter! It sounds like she's a very blessed girl to have a Godmother like you in her life!

    I hope sometime you'll 'hijack' the blog and post again about your meeting at the airport, or along the road as you build the special relationship you'll have with her, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a lucky little girl. Special letter Auntie Kimi! Sending lots of hugs to all of you special human beings!
    Mrs. Leighton

    ReplyDelete